Barbecue Like a Pro Using a Rented GrillBy Amanda | Thu, 03/15/2012 - 9:53pm
A barbecue spices up any event! With a grill from your party and event rental store, you can grill 40 or more steaks or chicken halves at once. Choose the grill you'll rent, and use these lists to prepare for the big cookout.
Operational and safety tips
- For maximum cooking capacity and easy clean up, cover the firebox with heavy-duty aluminum foil to reflect heat.
- To prevent sticking, spray the grill with cooking spray.
- To provide draft and even heat distribution, cover the firebox with a bed of gravel 1 inch deep.
- Use 1/3 of the grill for a cooling area.
- For more uniform heat, cover the cooking area with hardwood briquettes instead of lump charcoal.
- Mound briquettes in center of grill.
- Soak briquettes with charcoal lighter fluid.
- Space coals ½ inch apart to grill, or bank them on both sides to rotisserie.
- Barbecue when charcoal is covered with fine ash (about 30-45 minutes).
- To maintain temperature, knock ash from briquettes while cooking.
Use sauces or glazes to enhance the flavor (generally added in the final stages of cooking) or marinades (generally added overnight or hours before cooking).
Remember to have available any of the following items appropriate for your grilling event:
- Basting brush
- Carving knife/fork
- Charcoal lighter fuel
- Cleanup items
- Disposable bags
- Hardwood briquettes
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Hickory chips
- Meat thermometer
- Oven mitt